Call of Duty
Call of Duty, electronic game that brought new advances to the first-person shooter genre, winning numerous game of the year awards in 2003 and 2004 following its 2003 debut. Designed by the American company Infinity Ward and produced by Activision, Call of Duty used World War II as a setting, allowing players to see the war through the eyes of American, Soviet, and British soldiers. Call of Duty combined challenging single-player missions with a multiplayer engine that breathed new life into a genre spawned by such gaming greats as Doom and Quake.
Call of Duty allowed players to advance through World War II in a series of campaigns or to battle it out against human opponents in its multiplayer mode. Solo play featured a cast of computer-controlled allies to better simulate actual war, during which a soldier would have been part of a large group rather than always fighting alone. The ability to pull up and aim firearms, to relive the last few seconds of a fallen comrade’s life, and to realistically be stunned by nearby explosions were notable features that helped distance the game from its competitors.
The popularity of Call of Duty spawned multiple sequels and expansions, such as Call of Duty II, Call of Duty: Finest Hour, and Call of Duty III. The series explored new ground in 2007 when Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was released, giving players the chance to immerse themselves in a future conflict between the United States, the United Kingdom, and Russia. A hit with players and critics alike, Modern Warfare was the best-selling game of 2007 and helped the series maintain its place at the top of the war game genre. Its sequel, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, set entertainment industry records during its first five days of release in November 2009, grossing more than $550 million in worldwide sales. The game’s single-player mode featured a deeply engaging counterterrorism story line, and its robust multiplayer mode drew more than two million users to Xbox Live, marking a one-day record for the online gaming service. The franchise’s next release, Call of Duty: Black Ops, topped $360 million in sales on its first day of release in November 2010, easily becoming the largest entertainment opening of the year. The game featured a single-player story rooted in the events of the Cold War, and it offered an evenly balanced, heavily customizable multiplayer mode. The Modern Warfare series came to a close in November 2011 with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, a game that broke global records with $775 million in sales in its first five days of release.
Call of Duty on ensimmäisen persoonan ammuntapeleihin perustuva pelisarja, jota julkaisee Activision ja kehittää pääasiassa Infinity Ward, Treyarch ja Sledgehammer Games. Pelisarjassa käsitellään toista ja kolmatta maailmansotaa, kylmää sotaa sekä modernia terrorisminvastaista sotaa
- The LCS will host its first fan-attended event since Summer of 2019 in Newark, NJ at the Prudential Center. The LCS Championship Delivered by GrubHub will take place on August 28 and 29 and will crown the region’s 2021 season champion. At the event, the LCS will provide a fan experience featuring LCS teams and […]
- Esports organizations participating in Mobile Legends could be forced to drop or never sign a team for Wild Rift due to a signed exclusivity contract with developer Moonton (owned by short-form video app TikTok), according to a report by Wild Rift news outlet WRCompetitive. Team Secret CEO John Yao weighed in on the report on […]
- Sweden-based esports organization Ninjas in Pyjamas is merging with a Chinese company called ESV5, with plans to be listed on the NASDAQ, according to a report from Reuters. ESV5 is a joint venture between esports organization eStar Gaming and Victory 5. A “source with direct knowledge on that matter” tells Reuters that the companies project […]
- Esports Entertainment Group secures exclusive deal with Hall of Fame Resort and Entertainment CompanyEsports betting and competition operator Esports Entertainment Group has signed a deal to become the exclusive esports provider for Hall of Fame Resort and Entertainment Company’s Hall of Fame Village in Canton, Ohio. The company will operate a 7,000 square foot esports center at the location, scheduled to open in mid-2022. The facility will be […]
- Apple has lost its bid to get a lawsuit filed by Epic Games dismissed in Australia, one of several fronts where the Fortnite developer and publisher is suing the iOS owner for unfair business practices. Because Epic also sued Apple in the U.S., the iPhone and iPad maker argued that the Australian action should be […]
- TikTok announced on Thursday that it has appointed Brazilian Free Fire player and esports organization owner Bruno “Nobru” Goes as its first global gaming ambassador. The company has been expanding its presence into esports in general and Brazilian esports in particular. The short-form video app company was a partner of the local Free Fire emulation […]
- Golden Guardians-affiliated guild BDGG will host its second live broadcast event surrounding next week’s World of Warcraft Race to World First. The guild will livestream its progress through the race live on Twitch. For this event, BDGG has partnered with Blue Microphones, which sponsored Complexity Limit in the previous race, as well as energy and […]
- Ninjas in Pajamas will join Razer’s stable of esports teams in a new multiyear partnership deal. Razer will become the organization’s peripheral provider and will produce custom gaming peripherals with NIP designs and branding. Earlier this year, shortly after unveiling its updated branding and colors, NIP signed a three-year sponsorship deal with Samsung. The organization […]
- After unveiling its plans for the competitive Wild Rift scene in Brazil, Riot Games announced Thursday that the first tournament, Wild Tour, will be an in-person event to be held on Oct. 8 – 10, in the Riot Games studios in São Paulo. The event will not be open to the public due to COVID-19 […]
- New York-based esports organization Andbox has secured a deal that will make USAA the official insurance and military appreciation partner of its Call of Duty League team New York Subliners. The multiyear partnership will make USAA the first partner to be featured on NYSL jerseys both inside the game and out. Financial terms were not […]